[Sca-cooks] Re: Beans was CROWN LYST, TAVERN MENU &HOURS

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 26 10:06:35 PDT 2002

The Midwest of Illinois that I grew up in was very
white bean or navy bean oriented, as in cornbread and
beans festivals. Even now Tuscola County Michigan will
be celebrating on Aug 30, 2002 - Sep 2, 2002                   Michigan
Bean Festival, Fairgrove.
 This event really is for the beans! Celebrate the nation's largest navy
bean harvest with a free bean-soup feed and the crowning
 of the Michigan Bean Queen. Other big doings in this small town on the
Lower Peninsula's "Thumb" include music and shows
               staged in the entertainment tent, a parade, demolition
derby and carnival. 989-693-6841

There is also that song I'm Going Down That Road Feeling Bad... Words
and music by Woody Guthrie,
where one verse is
They feed me on cornbread and beans,
They feed me on cornbread and beans,
They feed me on cornbread and beans,lord, lord,
I ain't gonna be treated this-a-way.

There's also a memoir by James Hanna entitled:
"Cornbread and Beans for Breakfast. The Misadventures of a Boy
 Growing up in the South during the Thirties and Forties"

so maybe you need to add another variety of beans to your
question regarding red, balck or pinto...

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis

"Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:snipped