[Sca-cooks] Icelandic Food Question

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Mon Aug 26 16:05:48 PDT 2002

Stefan asked:

> Is this available in the (some?) Icelandic resturants?

Sure, especially during the month of Þorri (Thorri) - many restaurants have
Þorri feasts or Þorri buffets. At this time, you can also buy it in most
grocery stores. And it can always be found at the indoor market downtown.

> What is a piadina"?

Italian flatbread, very common in Emilia Romagna, where I was. It is usually
eaten hot, either wrapped around prosciutto, cheese, rucola or other goodies
as a snack or as breakfast or lunch, or it may be served with all kinds of
dishes. Very good, but I needed a change.

> Multiple sheep's head dishes? So there must be more than one
> way to prepare this. Details, please?

There is more or less only one common Icelandic dish (two, if you count
headcheese), but I'm writing an article for the cookery magazine I currently
work for about worldwide sheep's head cuisine (there is such a thing) so I'm
trying out different recipes - I had a Kuwaiti sheephead soup, flavoured
with cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, garlic, tomato and lemon, and roasted Greek
lamb's head, basted with a sauce made from olive oil, lemon, tomato paste
and oregano. Tomorrow I'll probably cook a Pakistani sheephead curry and a
North African braised sheephead dish.

Nanna