SPCA- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Missive for Stefan,

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 26 15:48:49 PDT 2002

--- Isabella di Giovanni
<isabella_di_giovanni at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --
>
> Here is where I show my ignorance, once again. I
> have seen SPCA mentioned several times, re:Pennsic,
> re:food, but I doubt if the Society for the
> Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was cooking for
> anyone. And if they were, were they being cruel to
> their food, or was it veggie-tarian?
> Isabella

Well, it's sort of a joke ;-) We're actually the Soup
Pot Cooks Association- when we decided we wanted to
become a Household, we needed to change our name, and
at that time, one of our members was reknowned for
trying to cook anything- in fact, he got severely
reprimanded on one List, basicly a conservative modern
cookery List, for looking for a recipe for guinea
pigs. Other friends of his gave him gobbets of what
they said was dog meat, and didn't tell him until
after he'd cooked it and described it that it was
actually mutton, so our original badge was to be,
roughly, In chief, a dog and a cat, above a cauldron.

SPCA (the name) is a rather politically incorrect
hangover from that time, but it has the virtue of
being a simple camp name for Pennsic.

Basicly, we're an association of Cooks from this List
who camp and cook together, with various other
interesting and interested persons, including Scotti,
our brewer, and his wife, Aine, and Thorclaw, our
resident gargoyle, Kiri and Phillip, Selene and Jared,
Johan the Cripple, a smith who wants to bake, Margali
and her husband Rob, Frederich, Stefan, Akim, Liadan,
our scullery, Andrew MacRobb, our bard, Mostly Hatless
Muiredach, Avraham, and others.

Theoretically, I'm Head of Household, but when they
stuck me with the job (no one else wanted it- neither
did I, for that matter) I reserved the right to choose
the title, so I'm Officially Chief Cat Wrangler,
because organizing this crew is like trying to herd
cats ;-)

As far as cruelty to animals, we're very much opposed
to that sort of thing, but I AM into butchering my own
meat, as is Muiredach, and we do recognize that
animals are living things which, properly handled,
become food.

We have fun, and we work at period food and being
there for each other, and that's what it's really all
about.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,