[Sca-cooks] Spices

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Aug 26 20:32:11 PDT 2002

> > And I ended up using a flat bottomed
> > skillet as we didn't have any sort of wok in camp.
>
> For the average American, a standard 12" flat-bottomed skillet is BETTER for
> stir-frying than a wok. An American stove is (a) not hot enough and (b) not
> designed to provide adequate heat up the sides of the bowl (ever watch them
> cook in a Chinese restaurant? the woks sit in a ring, which suspends them
> over a fire - so there's heat all the way up the sides).

It may well be better for some sorts of stir frying. I don't know. I do
know that I find a wok better for stirfrying than a skillet because you
can dig out the bottom (where it's more hot) and pull already partially
cooked ingredients up the sides before adding the next lot of raw
ingredients to the bottom/middle where they cook faster.

I have a ring to use with my wok and I use that whenever I'm cooking over
electric heat, though I don't always use it when cooking with gas.

I may be doing it all wrong of course but it works for me and that's the
way I was taught by several people- one of course my mom who had learned
it on her own and another someone from Staten Island but he'd never worked
in a restaurant where they did stirfry or anything.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."