[Sca-cooks] Reviewed in LIIWEEK: Intl Dutch Oven Society

Peldyn at aol.com Peldyn at aol.com
Mon Aug 26 21:46:29 PDT 2002

Could you tell me a little more about this? I'm going to be in a cooking
contest this weekend, and some bread with the first course would be nice -
and i'll be cooking just on propane camp stoves, so...

Thanks!!

Generys

Okay, I find that small round loaves work best. You need to have the bread
raised off the floor of the oven. I stated that I used and old bread toaster
for this, yes Selene it is a camp toaster LOL. Anything that raises the bread
would work, but the toaster is so handy. The wire frames that that hold the
toast go underneath to raise the round base. You can put the bread directly
on this base, or you can use a pan.
Heat, it is important to keep an eye on the heat. I usually heat the pan with
the lid on on high until  hot, about 15 to 20 minutes and then turn the flame
down as low as I can get it to go. I pop the bread dough in quickly and check
it after 20 minutes. If it is cooking too quickly I turn off the heat, too
slowly I turn it up a bit. You just have to keep at it and after a while you
will get a "feel" for it. I first started with bisquits and then scones and
now wheat bread. I am making my dough here at home Thursday night and putting
it in the fridge. I will keep it in the cooler at War until I am ready to
bake it. I will be making Canary Bread, which is the name my kids gave to the
bread I make due to the different seeds sprinkled over the top.
Peldyn