[Sca-cooks] Iceland

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Aug 27 08:41:41 PDT 2002

Someone wrote:

>  > > The island's
>  > > geomorphology strongly affected its history and I want to visit the
>features
>>  > that are described in the sagas.
>
>Stefen wrote:
>
>>  Are the sagas actually detailed enough to be able to pick out various
>  > geographic features?

You can certainly visit places described in the sagas, but in some
cases there have been significant changes due to geological change
over the intervening centuries--Thingvellir being a particularly
striking example. A few years back I got an opportunity to visit it
in the company of a very nice and very knowledgable retired Icelandic
scholar, who pointed out all the changes. I told him they should put
it back the way they found it--but unfortunately, that isn't a
practical option.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/