[Sca-cooks] juniper berries

Isabella di Giovanni isabella_di_giovanni at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 27 22:13:07 PDT 2002

Actually, yes, I have several (maybe 100ish) of Pinon trees here, too. However, have you ever tried to harvest them? I did.....ONCE! My 6 year-old neice and I tried. We had tree sap all over us and her 2 foot long, baby-fine blonde hair....ONCE.
For now, I just let the birds and squirrels eat them. I keep saying that someday I will figure out how to do it. We have them grow wild all over New Mexico.
Isabella, lazy to a fault, when it comes to harvesting those things.

 "Mark S. Harris" wrote:Isabella asked:

> Gee, from there, I guess you could take and squish the leftover seeds, add =
> sugar and let it ferment, making gin?

Anyone know how old the making of gin is?

> If anyone is up to trying, I have about 500 juniper trees on my property, h=
> ere in New Mexico. I'll send you some.

Juniper berries do show up in a number of medieval recipes. I bought
some at the Pepperer's Guild last year at Pennsic but haven't used
any of the yet.

You might go to the first page in the Florilegium and use the

search engine there. Put in "juniper" and you will find a number of
period recipes that call for juniper berries and several cordials
and other beverages.

Now, do you also have a bunch of pinion pine trees, which would

provide you with some pine nuts? which can be rather expensive
elsewhere? There are some candy and other nice recipes that use
those. Also in the Florilegium. :-)

Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas stefan at texas.net