[Sca-cooks] Freezing food

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Aug 28 10:33:37 PDT 2002

> >I've done this with most of my feasts. Pre-cook and bag them.
> >Then, at the feast site either boil-in-bag, microwave or defrost
> >and reheat. It depends on the dish and kitchen facilities
>
> Hate to be the one to raise attention to this again, but...
>
> Ya got to be careful how you do it.  It works fine, and I've used that
> technique before.  Just make sure that
> a)your contents are defrosted before you re-warm them
> and
> b)you use actual boiling water, not just lukewarm water...
>
> BTW, saranwrap and other wraps don't melt in boiling water, so just about
> any ziplock bag should handle boiling water without flinching.  It's always
> a good idea to *under* bag though.  If you fill the poor thing to the brim,
> it'll just want to explode ;-)
>

> Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd

Actually, I've had otherwise brand new out-of-the-box Hefty freezer bags
die on me when the side seams came apart. I probably should have waited
until the stew had cooled a bit more, but it wasn't boiling. It was hot to
the touch but not so hot that I couldn't taste it without cooling. Once
there was more than a ladle's worth of stew in the bag, it split open.

Margaret the Perfectly Normal