[Sca-cooks] Bisket bread, weights

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 28 14:00:54 PDT 2002

Hess has a commentary on the bisket bread recipes in general and on
those that appear in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery. There are
also recipes in Rebecca Price's manuscript that was published as
The Compleat Cook in 1974. See also A True Gentlewoman's Delight from
the 1650's; Robert May includes Almond Biscuits in The Accomplisht Cook
and also The Ladies Cabinet by Lord Ruthuen also includes them. John
Murrell includes a variety in his various works and John Nott has a full
survey of them for the seventeenth century  in his book.

For measures you might want to check out what Karen Hess has to say in
the volume MWBoC cited above. There are some regional variations to
consider.

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis