[Sca-cooks] Bisket bread, weights

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Thu Aug 29 17:55:26 PDT 2002

Johnna wrote:
> Hess has a commentary on the bisket bread recipes in general and on
> those that appear in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery. There are
> also recipes in Rebecca Price's manuscript that was published as
> The Compleat Cook in 1974. See also A True Gentlewoman's Delight from
> the 1650's; Robert May includes Almond Biscuits in The Accomplisht Cook
> and also The Ladies Cabinet by Lord Ruthuen also includes them. John
> Murrell includes a variety in his various works and John Nott has a full
> survey of them for the seventeenth century  in his book.

Well, I'm alright for 17C versions... what I really want are more from
pre-1600, as the only one I currently have is from The Good Huswife's
Jewell.  The recipe there works fine (I made it yesterday) but I want to
compare and contrast and include some extra material in my documentation
for kingdom A&S.

> For measures you might want to check out what Karen Hess has to say in
> the volume MWBoC cited above. There are some regional variations to
> consider.

I used the measures posted the other day (where a pound was about 360g)
and it worked out well.

Has anyone redacted bisket bread before? I can't find it online.  Do
people want my version?

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/