[Sca-cooks] Cooking over fire Casbah! Feast,

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Aug 28 16:54:57 PDT 2002

>And in the rain?  ;-)

Unless it's really pouring hard, rain doesn't put out a wood fire
once it's started--and not always then. Of course, you might get wet
occasionally when you have to do something over the fire.  And it is
hard to get the fire started when it is raining. But if you have a
kitchen setup with a covered work area, you should be able to do most
stuff there whether you are using gas or wood.

At Pennsic, we produced Cuskynoles for the cooks potluck despite bad
weather--sent, no doubt, from Ostgard.

>But I admit, I wouldn't want to depend on that for a decent hot meal in
>miserable weather. Spoiled by gas stoves, I am...  and this does sound
>as if it makes a great deal of sense for feeding a group, who might not
>all be able to sit down to a meal at the same time. This way the cook
>gets away from the stove once in a while!

The freeze and boil system makes sense if  the objective is to reduce
the amount of work done by the cooks during the event--whether you
are using propane or wood to cook over.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/