[Sca-cooks] NY Times article.....

Lord Boroghul Khara boroghul at narn.pecan-tree.com
Thu Aug 29 07:27:41 PDT 2002

"When men cook it's on special occasions, such as at barbecues or under
exceptional circumstances," said Samantha Kwan, who is writing her doctoral
dissertation on food and identity for the sociology department at the
University of Arizona. Indeed, as sociologists have long argued, a man's
interest in food preparation is directly proportional to the approval he
receives from his audience. A seminal academic paper on the subject, Ms.
Kwan said, is "Making Pancakes on Sunday: The Male Cook in Family
Tradition," published in 1983 by Thomas Adler.

Ok.. I'm gonna grump a little.....  Of course it's an exceptional
circumstance.....  I'm feeding my family!

I've got to take exception to "directly proportional to the approval he
receives from his audience" bit.  Why is it that everything people do these
days has to have a justification other than simply "they do it for the joy
of it"?

IMO  if you're cooking for approval, you're looking in the wrong
place.....everyone has their own tastes and preferences. Some things aren't
going to go over well, some will go over great, so if you're looking for
approval, you'd best be doing it in an arena with better odds.

As for keeping a man in the kitchen by not stealing the limelight... I think
that goes with my view of cooking for approval...  Personally, I never saw
it as a limelight, just something I enjoy doing... my third church, a way to
relax, meditate, have some fun.  My Lady and I argue over who gets to cook,
not because we're vying for attention or approval, but because we both enjoy
it so much....even when it's something the kids turn their noses up at.  In
fact, around 3 in the afternoon, my coding slows down, because it's almost
like being 9 years old again on Christmas eve.... I can't wait to get home
and into the kitchen...... That is, if Tenshi hasn't beaten me to it
already, since she gets off of work before I do.

I also don't think it's the love of applause when you see people smiling
after taking a bite either... but rather you're pleased to see someone enjoy
food period.  ::shrugs:: Perhaps it's from the number of chefs in my family,
or that food has always been such a big part of my family's life, but even
when it's something I had nothing to do with (like watching someone 3 tables
away at Arigato's), I get a kick out of watching someone putting food into
their mouth and watching their expression change... Heck, that's half the
fun of going to events and attending feasts...the emotions that cross the
faces of those around you as all those flavors roll over their tongues.

Personally, I don't go for the one use only tools....well most of them
::chuckle::  I think I rely on my cast iron wok, skillet and dutch oven more
than anything else.  I do tend to stand in front of the kitchen stores and
drool a little at some of the pans and knives....but that's usually "Look at
the size of that one!!! I can use that for feasts!"  Tenshi won't let me go
into Lechter's. William Sonoma, or any other such establishment
unchaperoned.... And her biggest worry was my wandering into the Apple
Computer store across the hall from one of the kitchen stores.