[Sca-cooks] carving (LONG) was glossary diagrams

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Aug 30 05:04:22 PDT 2002

"Cindy M. Renfrow" wrote on 8/23/2002>
> Hello  Does anyone have a diagram of a chicken (pig, sheep, etc.) marked
> with the medieval terms for its parts? I think this would be a good &
> useful addition to the glossary.  > Regards,
> > Cindy
--------------------
I finally had time to research this topic and I have turned
up the following works as sources for illustrations on at least
carving...

The Genteel house-keepers pastime, or, The mode of carving at the table
represented in a pack of playing cards. London : Printed for J. Moxon,
1693.
EEBO has the text of this but does not reproduce the cards that
illustrate the methods described. To see reproductions of the actual
cards-- you take a look at: Virginia and Harold Wayland's facsimile of
the 1676-7 edition. It was publsihed in 1962 as Of carving, cards and
cookery; or, The mode of carving at the table.

This does contain serving instructions for pies---- which answers
another question from the list as to how to serve a pie...............

-----------------------
A perfect school of instructions for the officers of the mouth by Rose,
Giles. London : Printed for R. Bentley and M. Magnes ..., 1682 is up on
EEBO and does have the 41 illustrations included. These can be looked at
in a seperate images file.

The above is a translation of the French original work entitled:
L'escole parfaite des officiers de bouche,
contenant Le vray maistre-d'hostel. Le grand escuyer-tranchant. Le
sommelier royal. Le confiturier royal. Le cuisinier royal. Et le
patissier royal. 1662? Wheaton cites it as: L'eschole..
 There are also editions from 1716; 1713; 1680;1676 3. ed., corr. &
augm.
 1666 Seconde ed., reueuë, & corrigée.

Oddly enough some of the plates from this book can be seen or could
be seen yesterday at least at:
The Linear Pizza
... of birds and fruit. a crude but informative visual guide to carving
a pidgeon from
the seventh edition (Paris 1708) of L'Ecole parfaite des officiers de
bouche. ...
www.adh.brighton.ac.uk/schoolofdesign/ MA.COURSE/09/LLPizza01.html - 6k
- Cached - Similar pages
To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:vstyAWrxpHMC:www.adh.brighton.ac.uk/schoolofdesign/MA.COURSE/09/LLPizza01.html+ecole+parfaite+brighton&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Use the cached files or do an image search...

I'll detail the German and Italian possibilities in the next post.

Hope this helps--

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway