[Sca-cooks] hare vs rabbit

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sat Aug 31 12:26:52 PDT 2002

>  I'll agree with Master A, here.  I've prepared and eaten wild rabbit,
>home raised rabbit, and factory raised bought rabbit.  Three entirely
>different tastes.  I prefer the taste of wild rabbit, but you get a lot
>more meat/bone ratio with the factory raised ones.  The home raised
>rabbits fall somewhere in between, both in taste and size.  The wild ones
>are also pretty tough compared to the others.

BTW: wild, american rabbits (cottontails) are actually a different species
than the European rabbits that are domesticated and which are what you are
generally getting from the butcher or rabbit breeder.

They come halfway between the hare species and the European rabbits.

(I had this whole long thing about the differences but my internet
connection crapped out in the middle and because that computer won't
cut'n'paste I can't save it.) Anyway, pikas are sometimes called coneys,
btw, but they are only native to Eastern Europe & Asia so I don't think
period references refer to them (or the hyrax, a.k.a. dassie, a very small
hoofed rodent-like mammal that lives in Africa and is NOT a lagomorph ).
Most of the entries in the OED indicate that the term coney generally
means a rabbit (not a hare).

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."