[Sca-cooks] hare vs rabbit

Pat "Mordonna" Griffin mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 31 10:20:40 PDT 2002

I'll agree with Master A, here.  I've prepared and eaten wild rabbit, home raised rabbit, and factory raised bought rabbit.  Three entirely different tastes.  I prefer the taste of wild rabbit, but you get a lot more meat/bone ratio with the factory raised ones.  The home raised rabbits fall somewhere in between, both in taste and size.  The wild ones are also pretty tough compared to the others.
Anne du Bosc known as Mordonna the Cook (Hi, guys, I'm back)
Atenveld, Atenveldt
 "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:Also sprach Gorgeous Muiredach:
>The difference, if you can't detect the taste, is in the muscle
>fibers... Chunks of rabbit/hare just don't look like chunks of chicken.

Agreed. Rabbit is firmer than chicken. Almost like a cross between
turkey and veal, texturally, if that makes any sense. Tastewise,
there's a broad spectrum of flavors for rabbit (just as there is for
chicken) depending on diet, age, environment, etc.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
-DONALD FOSTER