[Sca-cooks] Acclaim

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sat Aug 31 12:33:31 PDT 2002

> I do the make the rounds thing, too.  At least around here, sometimes the
> cook doesn't get called out for applause - and I can see some being upset
> with that .  Not because "they don't like my food", but because "they didn't
> recognize all the work I put in!  They cheered the autocrat, and I did just
> as much work, if not more!"

Great embarrassing moments: an acquaintance of mine was cooking (under
extremely poor conditions) the feast for the first event I ever ran.
Some idiot decided to do the toast to the cooks during the FIRST course,
which was salads and hard-boiled eggs (apparently as a segue to
announcing that he and his lady had eloped...). The cooks were extremely
unhappy about being pulled out of the kitchen during dishing up the second
course, not to mention that they were being toasted before anyone had a
chance to try the food.

That was the same event where one of the kitchen staff passed out during
the serving of the final course, hit her head, and we had to call the
ambulance.

Somewhere along the way, the idea of a toast to the autocrat never came
up... I bit my tongue and tried not to wonder whether that was intentional
or not. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."