[Sca-cooks] hare vs rabbit

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Aug 31 15:04:47 PDT 2002

> My big-ass (as my son would say) dictionary was of no help, so I will ask you guys.... what is the differance between a hare and a rabbit. And which one is a *cony*? The dictionary only said that a rabbit was a small hare.  Is that it?
> Thanks!
> Phillipa
> ps... what does rabbit and/or hare taste like? and don't say chicken!!

Hares are larger and are usually wild. Rabbits are smaller and are
usually kept in captivity. Rome introduced rabbits to England but they
died out and weren't re-introduced until the Normans.

For more info, see these files in the Florilegium:
rabbits-msg       (20K)  1/17/00    Medieval rabbits. As pets and food.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/rabbits-msg.html

rabbit-dishes-msg (52K)  3/20/02    Period rabbit and hare recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/rabbit-dishes-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net