[Sca-cooks] beer in food

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 1 11:32:56 PST 2002

I've seen an 18th cent. receipt calling for "a pennyworth of new ale with
the yeast on it," and ale barm is certainly used.  Weren't people  more
likely to drink their beer than to cook with it, using broths for flavoured
cooking liquids?  Or use it as a posset or caudle?  Robert May (1685) has
three receipts for buttered beer or ale, involving boiling and scumming the
beer, then mixing it with eggs, spices, and butter "and brew(ing) it."

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.   Emerson