[Sca-cooks] beer in food

hylander at ihug.co.nz hylander at ihug.co.nz
Sun Dec 1 14:17:49 PST 2002

We often use our bread as a starter for the beer and then use the flat beer (if
any) or yeast residue at the bottom of our ale bottles to make bread.
According to Derek (I'm not certain of this acuracy, but he's pretty good with
these kinds of things!)  There are some Belgian beers that have yeasts that are
hundreds of years old, using them in the same way with bread etc.

We also tried on the weekend cooking our meat in some beer.  Have you tried it?
its just an incredible taste!!  Perhaps beer would also have been used for
batters around meats and marinades or added at the last minute for flavour.

Once again, I apologise, I do not have any references to this.  I'm just
thinking back to what my grandmother has done.  It's economical, available and
cheap when you're using leftovers.  So it makes perfect sense to me.

cheers
Julie