[Sca-cooks] Subject: Pralines

Mon Dec 2 10:58:48 PST 2002

Pralines (of sugar and almond) are credited to the kitchen of -Cesar de
Choiseul, Comte du Plessis-Praslin (1598-1675).  The confection was brought
to New Orleans (founded 1718) in the 18th Century.  Lacking almonds, pecans
were used.  The original confection is a sugar cake with a few nuts.
Pralines with a carmel-like matrix and many nuts appear to be a 19th Century
U.S. variation.

The idea that sugar cane was more plentiful and cheaper around New Orleans
may be true, but it probably had little effect on the developement of the
praline.  France had sugar plantations in the Indies for almost 75 years
prior to the founding of New Orleans and it is the French who brought sugar
planting to Louisiana.

Bear