[Sca-cooks] 10 Year Celebration

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 02:27:52 PST 2002

Hi all,

Well, I have been asked to be Head Cook/Steward for Drachenwald's 10 Year
Celebration/Coronation coming up in June. Which is a great
honour....but.....(there's always a but!) it's in another country (Germany)
and the castle we're holding it at has no catering facilities at all, so
we're having to hire 2 field/caravan kitchens to do all the meals. Not only
that, but there'll also be 350 at feast - which is small for other kingdoms
maybe, but huge for Drachenwald where we don't really have the large numbers
of volunteer expert kitchen staff (the biggest previous Coronation feast I
was Co-Head Cook at was 160 and we at least had a large catering kitchen for
that one).

So.

About the only things that've been decided yet are a) we'll have local
caterers who can do salmon and roast chicken rather than attempting to cook
meat ourselves; b) I have a Deputy already volunteered from the local Shire
in Germany; c) I have an expatriate English Shopping Co-ordinator elsewhere
in Germany to tell me what's not available in Germany that I take for
granted in the UK; and d) I will probably have at least 19 nervous
breakdowns before this thing is over.

At the moment my plan is to sit down and reread my Theory of Catering book
before starting to worry about menus and logistics. However, as this is way
way way bigger and more difficult than anything I've ever done before (and
that includes the Crown Feast From Hell for 100 from a domestic kitchen and
2 camp gas burners!), I would very much appreciate any pointers whatsoever,
either in terms of where to start, preparation, logistics, etc.

ciao
Lucrezia (staving off the panic attacks with thoughts of Xmas holidays)

OT PS: and my vote goes for Pretty & Nasty as much more interesting than
Scruffy & Testosterone Poisoned any day - definitely Legolas & Draco over
Strider & Harry ! <grin>

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.