Roux and file' (was RE: [Sca-cooks] Turkey day odds and ends)

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Dec 4 05:22:46 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liadan" <Liadan at sbcglobal.net>
> Phlip,
> According to my book, it ain't gumbo without the okra! But
supposedly
> file powder is a carcinogen (sp?). I was making the roux over medium
> heat, trying to keep it from burning.  I guess bowling the day
before
> was a bad idea.
> Liadan

Chocolate/Brick/Dark roux is a time intensive process relative to a
blond roux.  It can take 30 minutes of your attention to make and not
scorch.  While constant stirring is not needed, you'll need to attend it
and stir often.  As you get better, you can hear and smell when it needs
stirring . . . if you need to walk away for a few minutes.  This is not
the stuff of walking away and ignoring.  Definitely a love investment
into the recipe.

Carcinogenic in my world is relative.  Every 5 years or so, the cancer
gurus change their minds about grilling food . . . bad for your-cancer .
. .  good for you-low fat . . . repeat.  In the minute quantities
needed, I choose to use it in the gumbo I eat once, maybe twice a year.
Adding maybe 1/16th teaspoon (US) to a 16 oz volume will start
thickening it up in a few seconds, and add sufficient flavor.  "Just a
pinch between the cheek and gums" as it were.  Carcinogenically, making
tea from the Sassafras root would be a story of a different color over
grinding bits for a little file'.  YMMV, so make an informed choice and
enjoy it if you can .  .  . no substitute for it.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco