[Sca-cooks] freezing

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Tue Dec 10 09:41:34 PST 2002

vaccum packing lets you freeze meats better than anything.. and a lot of
veggies too...

now i have a vacuum sealer, but if you DON'T have one......you can get close
by these methods........

1. put food in zip lock bag..... close all but small gap in zipper........
insert clean straw into gap... inhale HARD until the bag forms tightly
around the food. withdraw straw and seal bag.  it takes some practice, but
its what i do when i am freezing my homemade bread (the vaccuum sealer
crushes bread..)

2. submerge the zip lock bag in a pan of clean water.. the water should come
up close to the zipper, but NOT get into the bag. the pressure from the
water forces a lot of the air out.  close the zipper, and dry the bag off
before putting it in the freezer (i didnt once... the bag froze to the
freezer tray)

just for the record.. i adore my vaccuum sealer.  i think they are possibly
the greatest way to store stuff like dried beans and grains..... because i
can keep the blasted bugs out of them (we have a *real* bad problem with
grain moths here)  and i havent had any freezer burn on my frozen foods
since i started using it.
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."