[Sca-cooks] freezing

Ciorstan ciorstan at attbi.com
Tue Dec 10 18:23:55 PST 2002

Kirsten writes:

> just for the record.. i adore my vaccuum sealer.  i think they are possibly
> the greatest way to store stuff like dried beans and grains..... because i
> can keep the blasted bugs out of them (we have a *real* bad problem with
> grain moths here)  and i havent had any freezer burn on my frozen foods
> since i started using it.

One _can_ get rid of grain moths, it just takes some persistence.

Put your flour into the freezer (not the refrigerator!) immediately once
you buy it-- don't unwrap it. Leave it overnight. Then dump the entire
bag into a plastic food-safe container with a secure lid.

As far as rice goes, same procedure. Barring a vacuum sealer-- if you
like those rice mix things (pilaf rice-a-roni, yum!) bag them up in a
thick ziplock upon arrival from the store.

You'll starve 'em out and at the same time eliminate re-contamination.

By the way, I've noticed there's a Kirstin, a Kirsten and a Ciorstan on
the list now.

ciorstan
(currently fighting ant invasions...)