[Sca-cooks] Rice... was gas vs. electric ovens and ranges

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 10 16:32:09 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:
>You shouldn't try to steam veggies in rice cooker.

Actually, many new rice cookers claim to be able to steam vegetables.
And the high-tech fuzzy logic ones can really do the job - heck, some
of them can even work as slow cookers, too.

But if Kirsten's rice cooker was burning her rice, there was
definitely something wrong with it.

Muiredach, you asked me why i don't use a rice cooker... I had one
when i was married, but i let my lazy husband keep it when i left
him. He broke it not long after, and i've been content to cook rice
on the stove for close to 20 years since.

Lately, i've been thinking about getting a fuzzy logic rice cooker.
They can cook a wide range of different grains, as well as doing what
i mentioned above, and i think one would be great for feasts. But
they're expensive, so i've been dragging my feet.

For feasts i've taken to borrowing several rice cookers to cook the
grains. One poor helper gets to be the rice cooker watcher. Standard
rice cookers are not consistent - even the same brands. Some manage
to get a variety of grains cooked nicely. Some have to be switched on
over and over - they think they're done - and if they were cooking
rice, they probably would be - but for non-rice grains, they aren't.

This still beats trying to cook in a big pot on the stove (and my
ovens are always busy cooking stuff that takes hours, so no grain
cooking in the oven). But if the grain is mostly cooked but isn't
quite perfect, i can finish it up on the stove.

So, anyone have any recommendations for a fuzzy logic rice cooker?

Anahita