[Sca-cooks] using fats

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 13 21:46:24 PST 2002

Phlip replied to Kirsten with:

>> now... does anyone have any brilliant ideas on using the fat? i know
>> technically "suet" is a specific fat....
>> Kirsten
>
> Render it down for tallow, and freeze it, so you can try it the next time
> you have a period recipe using beef fat, which is rendered.

You could try making soap or candles with it.

However, I'm not sure where beef tallow fell in period along the line

of fats to use and those not to use. It appears sheep and lamb tallow
was the most sought after for this, while pork tallow was a definite
no-no. Apparently pork tallow was said to smoke badly and to smell.

There are several files on soapmaking in the CRAFTS section of the

Florilegium. This one is the HOME, SWEET HOME section has some info
on tallow candles:

candles-msg       (86K)  9/ 2/02    Candle snuffers, making candles, wax, tallow

Someday I do want to make some tallow candles for outside feasts. Anyone
can make beeswax candles. :-)
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com