[Sca-cooks] horsemeat

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 15 14:29:54 PST 2002

Ana replied to me with:

> In  Poland they did and in France you have still butchersshops called "Chevalines"
> where you can buy horsesausages and steaks. In a book called "Unmentionable Cuisine,",
> written  by Calvin W. Scwade, you can find the sources and the lore about
> horseflesheating. The Tartars did it since their horses were their closest companion
> and they felt a kind of comunion when eating their flesh.
> Rather fascinating book...
> Ana

> Stefan li Rous wrote:
>> So far, all of the period horse meat recipes I've seen are from western
>> Asia. It doesn't look like the Europeans ate horseflexh, at least
>> intentionally.

Yes, the French do currently eat horsemeat. But did they in medieval

times? If you can give some referances that they did this, not
necessarily recipes, I'd like to get it. Perhaps they were only eaten
by the lower classes, because the meat was tougher or because of taste,
but I'd like to see the referances.Conversely if someone sees period
European writings that say that horsemeat should not be eaten because...,
I'd like to get referances for that.
I believe the Tartars were one of the groups that I was including in my
group of recipes from western Asia.

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com