Tying it back to food (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Paganism )

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Dec 17 17:33:00 PST 2002

>OBFOOD Content:  My particular tradition celebrates a rite we call "Hunter's
>Moon" during which we celebrate the cycle of the hunter and the hunted, and
>one of the traditional dishes is venison.  You can imagine the looks on some
>peoples'  faces (particularly vegetarian) when we passed around venison for
>'communion' during a public ceremony!

I don't claim to be of any faith, and have had luck fishing spiritual
concepts from many different flavours of
religion/beliefs/spirituality/whateverlabelfits.  I especially am not much
in the "organized" part of most faiths, and not into rituals at all.

That said, this ritual you present here ties in closely with the reason why
*I* have opted to to my own slaughter when appropriate and possible.  Phlip
understands this.  As a meat eater, I believe that I need to show the
courage/responsibility of wanting to eat an animal by being ready to take
that life.  I am not distancing myself from it.  That animal has to give
its life to feed me, I will respect it by *knowing* what it took to get it
to me, rather than just picking it neatly pre-slaughtered, pre-butchered,
cut down, ground, wrapped.

Please note I am NOT passing judgement on those who have not chosen this
path for themselves, nor thinking any less of you if you have never, nor
ever want to do your own slaughtering.  That is your reason.

My 2 cents on the topic :-)  Phlip, you are very eloquent on this topic,
I'd love to see you expend on my thought, as you clarify it much better
than I do :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds
Shire of Forth Castle, Meridies