[Sca-cooks] Candles (partly OT)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Dec 18 05:46:21 PST 2002

At 06:16 AM 12/18/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone on this list have any period pictures of feasts which
include candles, sconces or chandeliers - ANY form of lighting?

>I *think* I've seen pictures of chandaliers, and maybe free-standing
>arrangements (not table-top), but it's not something I've ever paid much
>attention to (I'm usually peering at the clothing <g>).
>--maire

That's what I've seen too. Those really cool candle-thingies you see in
Branagh's Henry V are very like.

Keep in mind A) feasting was done in the daytime, and B) there's a fire in
teh hall (and explicit instructions to the grooms, etc, to light the fire
as part of setting up the hall for teh feast.)

I looked and looked and looked, and found ONE, count them, ONE candle ont
eh table. It was NOT A FEAST. It was one of those pictures witht he guy
inthe barrel chair, warming his hands, grumbling at the servant who is
putting out dishes for a small private meal. There is one lit candle. No
other diners, no handwashing, surnape, nef, no butler or usher... just a
private dinner in chamber.

But no candles ont eh tables in the feast hall.

(What's the old joke- darkness is period!)

'Lainie