[Sca-cooks] Writing letters of recommendation

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 18 21:35:42 PST 2002

Mistress Selene Colfox commented:
> Is your home kingdom giving enough awards to
> the Culinary artists, and if not, why not?  One way to help is to write a letter
> to the Crown about someone you consider worthy.  Contrary to popular belief,
> fuelled by simple humility, ANYBODY can write a letter to the Crown for any
> award.  Kings are not omniscient, they only know what people tell them.  Look at
> it this way, you are doing a service to the Crowned folk by keeping them informed.

We've had this discussion some on my kingdom list. One thing that has
come up is that often, at least for my kingdom, the letters of recommendation
sent in during one reign are not forwarded on to the next Crowns. So, it
is sometimes a good thing to send in another letter during a later reign
if you don't see any action on the recommendation you made. If that person
has done additional work during the intervening time, this would also
be a good time to add a mention of that. Perhaps the person was just
shy of the level desired for that award by the previous Crown.

If you don't have any idea what to put in such a letter or how to phrase

it, perhaps these files in the SCA-INC section of the Florilegium might
be of use:

Award-Rec-Let-art (10K) 11/16/00    "Writing Effective Award Recommend. Letters"
                                       by Countess Berengaria de Montfort.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/Award-Rec-Let-art.html

award-rec-let-msg (11K) 11/ 2/00    Writing award recommendation letters.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/award-rec-let-msg.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com