fruit preserves (was [Sca-cooks] sad)

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Fri Dec 20 10:34:25 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "sarah dickie" <the_raven53 at yahoo.com>
> so what about perserves.  My family has been doing
> homeade perserves for generations.  Wouldn't they have
> done that?  when did perserves start being made?  It
> would make sense to me that they did that in
> wintertime.
>
> Brigit

According to the recipe collections we have, "Preserves" as we know
them, the chunky congealed fruit and juice stuff we smear on bread, was
not know in that form until very late 1500's, really.  Fruits were used
to make lots of things, including "Marmalade" in the Middle Ages and
Rennaissence.  Marmalade seem to be rather more dense and formable into
a shape, like Quince Paste you can get in a tin these days that is
sliceable rather than a spread. (nor the rock hard, crimson hockey puck
that I made first time out)

The use of large quantities of sugar to make jam-like products appears
mostly after 1600, unless someone has other info.  Their may be one or
two recipes out there in late 1500's, but not many.  If this is not what
you are referencing, then give a go at describing what you mean by
"preserves" and someone will sing out.

Do also look in the Florilegium for info on preserves and marmalades in
Their various spellings.  there is bound to be really good information
in there.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco