[Sca-cooks] (OOP) peach-apricot jam

michele federer michelefederer at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 24 07:24:48 PST 2002

Last night I made a modern jam. (added pectin)
I brought it to work for taste response. All are good,
so far. The one that told me it went well was "I can
taste all the different spices in it." The "spices"
she tasted was the result of the cooking method.
Recipe:
4 lbs. frozen peach slices, 3 cups apricot nectar, 1/4
teaspoon vanilla,1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 box pectin, 5
1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon butter
*put frozen peaches in pressure cooker with a couple
of tablespoons water and cook for one hour (this cut
the normal cooking time). Quick cool cooker and open.
*add apricot nectar and vanilla to peaches. On medium
low heat, simmer till reduced by half. Stir
frequently.
*remove thickened fruit to holding container (advise
glass bowl) and clean the pan. Return mixture to pan.
*Raise heat to high. Add pectin, lemon juice and
butter. Stir constantly till it comes to a hard boil.
*As soon as it reaches a hard boil, add all the sugar
at once. Stir constantly. Bring back to a hard boil
and let boil 1 minute. Remove from heat
*Stir gently, skimming any foam from the surface, for
7 to 8 minutes. This will keep the fruit from all
rising to the surface.
*Place in canning jars and process in boiling water
bath.
Note: the reduction of the fruit, including the time
in preassure cooker takes from 3 to 4 hours.
Note: the washing of the pan between the reduction
stage and the sugaring stage is important. You will
have some caramilized fruit stuck to the pan from the
reduction and the higher heat of the sugaring will
burn it.
Note: could have used fresh fruit for both peaches and
apricots, two parts peach to one part apricot
Note: the vanilla I use is from Mexico and very
strong. If you are using grocery vanilla then use 1
teaspoon. (no more, this is an idea of a flavor, not a
flavor)
Note: My pectin says to add the butter, that is the
only reason that the butter is in this. You could use
3 ounces of liquid pectin in place of the box.

Lady Michaelina nic Farlane