[Sca-cooks] OT: weird cat antics

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Tue Dec 24 07:40:44 PST 2002

at one point i raised fancy rats
(stop snickering, they make GREAT pets)
anyway, one cage fell over and a whole litter of weanlings ended up on the
floor in the basement.  we recaptured mom, and most of the youngsters.. and
over the next few weeks we *thought* we caught them all.

then someone saw a hooded young rat on the first floor.
well, our cats are notorious mousers.. so we figured it was a goner...
except we *kept* seeing it.

then i saw one of our smaller cats corner her in the kitchen.. and the rat
stood up on her hind legs .. grabbed the cat by the neck.. and i *swear* it
Judo threw him.
rat ran off

a month later i saw another cat chase the now full grown rat down the
upstairs hall... followed a minute later by the RAT chasing the CAT the
other way down the hall.

it finally occured to us that they were *playing* with each
other........naaaah.....

when we found the rat curled up asleep with one of the cats we finally named
the rat "Kitten".

she was eventually trapped and returned to a securable aquarium..
unhappily.. my hubby still thinks we should have just gotten her her own
litter box and food dish.
she was no longer people tame.. and it took months before i could pet her or
anything.. but no one had the heart not to keep her.
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."