[Sca-cooks] OT: ? slaughtering

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Thu Dec 26 09:54:32 PST 2002

Kosher methods of slaughter are *at least* as humane as any of the other
methods.  i personally believe they are more humane.
*IF* they are practiced properly.

 the animal is treated with consideration, and looses consciousness at least
as fast (and in my opinion with less pain) that the traditional methods of
electric shock or sharp blow/air gun to the head

i know, unfortunately, of a few slaughterhouses that practiced what they
were *calling* Kosher slaughter.. and there was some serious argument over
it.  they were hoisting the animal off its feet and having it dangle by one
leg or something.. which is likely to tear the leg and is *expressly
forbidden* in Kosher slaughter
(not tearing a limb from a living creature is one of the few laws that even
the Gentiles are supposed to follow)

the whole attitude toward the animal is supposed to be one of respect, in
Kosher slaughter.. and i think that that alone makes for more care and
concern.

frankly, i dont see why they dont outlaw all methods of slaughter *except*
kosher......
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."