[Sca-cooks] apple pie seasoning

Margaret Rendell m_rendell at optusnet.com.au
Thu Dec 26 18:30:45 PST 2002

>Actually I've yet to see a local modern apple pie recipe that called for
>cinnamon - all the recipes I've used call for a "pinch of ground cloves"...
>Maybe it's a family or Queensland or Australian thing [weird cultural
>differences #45663 - of course I've been using the trusty cookbook I used at
>school in <mumblemumble> and one of my grandmothers recipes [have to refind
>that sometime])

Still behind on the digests, so I've no idea if anyone else had
suggested this: what also works well in apple pies is nutmeg and just a
little black pepper. If you don't over-do the pepper, it adds an
interesting bite, but people can't tell what it is, because they're not
expecting it.

Margaret/Emma