[Sca-cooks] Fetes Goumandes was A book I'd never heard of

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Dec 31 19:01:37 PST 2002

I can add some more information about this volume. I ordered it early
in 2001 and waited months for it and the rest of the shipment
to be delivered from France. The volume is very nice; the acquisitions
process was a nightmare.

Fêtes gourmandes au Moyen Age
de Jean-Louis Flandrin, Carole Lambert, Yves Pinard
COST: EUR 59,46  /  390,03 FF
Relié - 186 pages (4 septembre 1998)
Imprimerie Nationale; (Album Luxe) ; ISBN : 2743302682

It's a gorgeous volume and fairly expensive (something over $60 plus
shipping) and in French
and rather hard to get. It's been in stock and out of stock, so
I have never been exactly sure that reviewing it would be a favor or
a curse to various people. There's nothing like to deciding one wants
to see a book or own one and then not being able to find it at any
price.
The number of copies in US Libraries is small at best also which makes
ILLoan rather a problem. The recipes are mostly available elsewhere, but
the photos are quite lovely.

Amazon.FR currently lists it again, in case anyone is interested.
If you search on gastronomy and the other related subject headings
there, you
can discover a number of books in French that are not available in the
US
like the ones that continue The Medieval Kitchen by Sabban.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed, 25 Dec 2002 12:01:00 -0500 wrote--
My lady wife and I just received a gift of a book, which is a new one
to me, "fetes gourmandes au moyen age" (for whatever reason, the
English-language tradition of capitalizing titles seems not to
operate, at least not universally, in France). This is from
Jean-Louis Flandrin and Carole Lambert, and it's a an
edition-with-commentary (and really gorgeous photographs of finished
dishes) of medieval recipes from French sources, some in French and
some in Latin.