[Sca-cooks] Sabina Welserin #30

Mon Dec 2 07:56:16 PST 2002

The original says "12 lott gerente milich, das keslin darúon."  Since
"quarc" is Middle High German and is not used here, I would probably choose
to go with a rennet based curd.

I don't know whether Tilsit is contemporary with Welser, but as an
ingredient, it should work fime.  I think Parmesian would also work in this
recipe and it is contemporary.

While it makes no difference to the ratios of the ingredients, the original
recipe is measured in "lott" or approximately 1/2 troy ounce.  The modern
"lott" is 15 grams, so in metric measure, it's 540 g. chard, 90 g. grated
cheese, 75 g. olive oil and 180 g. curds.

Bear