Pralines (Re: [Sca-cooks] Cookies - Picture)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 2 18:50:55 PST 2002

niccolo difrancesco replied to me with:
>> Pralines actually seem to come out of New Orleans, rather than
>> Texas,
>> according to one website I found. Maybe I should add a few jalopenos
>> or chili powder to these. :-)
>
> Legend has it that the french type cooks brought from Europe with the
> settlers in New Orleans area loved sugared almonds, but could not find
> them in the New World.  They used the same recipe for the local nuts,
> pecans, which eventually morphed into the confection called Pralines
> today.  I suspect that the sugar cane they found here was more plentiful
> and cheaper, so added more and got a goo.

That is pretty much what the website I found said. I had wondered how
they got from sugared almonds to a praline, which is more than just
a differance in the choice of nuts. Your comments sound plausible.

> If true, then we have a decendant of a Renaissance nut thingy in
> Pralines.

I too, was thinking that this might be a nice thing to research if
it is anything more than a legend.

> I have yet to do actual research on it . . . more fun for me
> just to talk in generality and possibility on this one.
I wish one of the sugar/candy experts here would do so. Bear? Katherine?

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com