Pralines (Re: [Sca-cooks] Cookies - Picture)

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Mon Dec 2 08:11:47 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan li Rous" <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
<<<SNIP>>>
> However, what you all will be getting now, is pecan pralines. A
commercial
> variety of which was talked about on this list called "Armadillo
Droppings".
> This first batch may not have any shipping problems because it is
> much softer than I wanted. I'll try cooking the next batch past the
> "soft-ball/235 degrees" stage that was called for in the recipe.
>
> Pralines actually seem to come out of New Orleans, rather than
Texas,
> according to one website I found. Maybe I should add a few jalopenos
or
> chili powder to these. :-)

Legend has it that the french type cooks brought from Europe with the
settlers in New Orleans area loved sugared almonds, but could not find
them in the New World.  They used the same recipe for the local nuts,
pecans, which eventually morphed into the confection called Pralines
today.  I suspect that the sugar cane they found here was more plentiful
and cheaper, so added more and got a goo.

If true, then we have a decendant of a Renaissance nut thingy in
Pralines. I have yet to do actual research on it . . . more fun for me
just to talk in generality and possibility on this one.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco