[Sca-cooks] Period sources

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Dec 3 06:32:02 PST 2002

Mark Grant says that Anthimus was first published in the 1860's.
Previous to that it was housed in several libraries around Europe in
several manuscripts and portions of manuscripts. The question would be
does it turn up on those 15th century catalogues of Classical authors.
Apicius, for instance, doesn't so it wouldn't be surprising to have
Anthimus missing also. Works that we take for granted for now may not
have been available in the 15th century.

Another "recipe" collection of fragments and thoughts on foods that is
older would be Archestratus's recipes from the 4th century BC. They are
incorporated as fragments into  the Deipnosophistai by Athenaeus in 200
AD. They have been published a couple of times in the past 20 years. The
best and least expensive is probably Archestratus. The Life of Luxury.
Europe's Oldest Cookery Book by Wilkins and Hill. Prospect Books, 1994.

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis