[Sca-cooks] Period sources

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Dec 3 06:07:42 PST 2002

> I do have a copy of Anthimus'  Epistula, which was written by the physician
> Anthimus to Theodoric, King of the Franks, on the regulation of diet. While
> possibly considered a medical text, during that period, medicine was an
> holistic science, where diet was considered as much a part of good health as
> we moderns are "discovering" today. It includes quite a few recipes,
> however, including the earliest known for honey butter (although it was a
> medicine, rather than a condiment), and one which Adamantius and I swear is
> a souffle.

One of my Generic Winter Holiday presents was _Eating Right in the
Renaissance_ by Ken Albala (fascinating book!) which claims that _De
observatione ciborum_ was 'totally unknown by Renaissance Physicians and
was not publised until modern times' (footnoting the Mark Grant/Prospect
Books translation). I don't know how accurate that is-- anyone have any
feedback?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"It's no use trying to be clever- we are all clever here; just try
to be kind- a little kind." F. J. Foakes Jackson.