[Sca-cooks] Period sources

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Dec 2 19:58:01 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Can anyone aim me at a convenient on-line list of period recipe
> sources? I'm after a chronological list if one exists. A local
> cooking publication just claimed that Platina is the earliest cookbook,
> and I'd like to set them straight at reasonable length :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Edward Long-hair

Actually, it is believed that Platina , um, "borrowed" much of his stuff
from Martino. Also, while many think of Apicius as being Classical Roman,
and pre- MA, it appears that there may have been an Apicius who wrote a
cookbook during the CR period, but most of the recipes are Classical Middle
Ages.

I do have a copy of Anthimus'  Epistula, which was written by the physician
Anthimus to Theodoric, King of the Franks, on the regulation of diet. While
possibly considered a medical text, during that period, medicine was an
holistic science, where diet was considered as much a part of good health as
we moderns are "discovering" today. It includes quite a few recipes,
however, including the earliest known for honey butter (although it was a
medicine, rather than a condiment), and one which Adamantius and I swear is
a souffle.

May I add, that it was written, it is believed, in the 470s? Not
Fourteen-seventies, but the Four seventies, CE.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,