[Sca-cooks] OT: sugar substitutes/atkins

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 3 17:12:07 PST 2002

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >OK, here's my improvement to Scotch Eggs:  "bread" the
> >exterior with a mixture of one part soy flour to one part
> >wheat bran.  Browns convincingly and adds fiber besides!
> >I have done that for a couple of years now and not one
> >person has noticed.
> >
> >Selene Colfox
>
> A little off topic but not much off this topic, can whoever posted to me the
> modifications they made to wafers (like the ones with taco mix in them,
> etc.) please repost them to me.

That was me also.  They are merely okay as straight snack food, but
wonderful as a "substrate" for sanwich spreads, creamy foods like
hummus or Digby's Cheese Goo, sugar-free ice cream, etc.

SOY PIZELLE

based loosely on ATKINS BASIC PANCAKES
[from:  DR ADKINS' NEW DIET REVOLUTION]

1/2 cup soy powder
3 eggs
1/2 cup cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
cooking oil [S note:  spray pan after each pancake]

Combine first 4 ingredients in a blender plus your choice of flavorants:

1 package taco seasoning mix

1 teaspoon garlic salt, etc. whatever floats your boat

2 packets Splenda + 1 teaspoon vanilla + a dusting of cinnamon, powdre douce or
other sweet spice

3 heaping teaspoons Sugar-Free Nesquik

Bake by the Tablespoon on pizelle iron, according to your model's instructions.

Selene Colfox