Roux and file' (was RE: [Sca-cooks] Turkey day odds and ends)

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Dec 4 07:07:49 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
from Niccolo difrancesco:

From: "Gorgeous Muiredach" <muiredach at bmee.net>>
> Food for thought.  Brown the flour in the oven, without the fat.  Has
two
> advantages.  Easier and requires less attention and stirring, and
like that
> you don't cook the fat so long, which was at one point anyway,
considered
> carcinogenic.
>
> Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd

That's pretty slick!  Have you tried it and found the flavor similar to
the long and "sometimes twice or three times repeated since it scorched"
method of the dark roux?  Talk about widening the window of success . .
. as long as you watch the flour in the oven.

I had forgotten the evils of fried food because the fat breaks down
into carcinogenic compounds thing as well.  The powers that decide these
things need to develop a ratio scale for us to inform us hwat is more
carcinogenic than another and by how much.  You know, like how dangerous
is file or fried food relative to direct inhalation of Plutonium?

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco