[Sca-cooks] Menu Development (was Re: OT: sugar substitutes/atkins)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 4 11:28:04 PST 2002

>I am finding from threads like these and the allergy sufferers and the
>lactose intolerant and the vegans and the vegetarians and the pork
>abstainers and the free range eaters and the organic dieters and the
>sodium restricted and the fat restricted and the alcohol intolerant and
>the upside down eating while spinning in circlers, that menu development
>is a talent/art/skill that is not inherent in cooking and all cooks.
>
>We once talked about being able to envision a dish just from reading
>the recipe and not needing to test it repeatedly . . . menu creation
>seems to similarly elusive.  While we all can tack dishes together and
>call them a feast, there is, in my estimation only, an additional skill
>to develop in creating a diverse and accommodating menu without the
>needs for lots of special modifications for one of the two dozen special
>diet groups out there.  A sufficiently diverse and balanced menu can
>have huge benefits:  the special needs people can usually find
>satisfaction in the original menu, and you create lots of goodwill
>amongst guests and staff by their feeling like you thought especially of
>them.
>
>It takes a good serving of courage and honesty to assess one's own real
>skill level adequately in anything, let alone what we find most proud in
>with ourselves.  I suspect that the skill can be developed with
>practice, feedback and a good teacher.  While this may not be an
>absolute necessity skill, I contend that it is one that is a huge asset
>to those who have it.
>
>I recognized the need when I made the personal decision not to use
>artificial sweeteners or starch products that were not reasonably
>available at the time of the recipe's writing (no Splenda or Soy Flour)
>when I am cooking for SCA events.  That's the whole joy for me . . .
>finding ways to challenge myself to do it THEIR way and not my own,
>while traveling the minefield of satisfying my guests.  So, I just
>cannot use lard in every dish I cook :o(
>
>pacem et bonum,
>niccolo difrancesco

I couldn't agree more whole-heartedly.  There are plenty of real dietary
concerns and with a light reading on nutritional balances it is easy to put
together foods and food groups that will round out a menu to the
satisfaciton of most.  The more someone or some group cooks for a crowd, or
an individual, the easier it is to naturally include their dietary concerns.
  For picky eaters, well, the more they eat and enjoy your variations on
cooking and dishes, as well as presentation, the more and more likely they
are to try tasting something they have found distateful in the past.  I have
found this true as a household cook and as a cooks guild member.
Olwen