[Sca-cooks] Menu Development (was Re: OT: sugar substitutes/atkins)

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Dec 4 05:54:31 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marilyn Traber" <margali at 99main.com>
> You don't have to make the entire feast low carb. A very simple
> accomodation is to make a sauce not thickened with bread crumbs,
> flour, roux or ground beans - after all, you are willing to
> accomodate an allergy by sending out an unsauced meat for those
> who cannot do fenugreek/garlic/pepper/whatever. Same principle.
<<SNIP>>

I am finding from threads like these and the allergy sufferers and the
lactose intolerant and the vegans and the vegetarians and the pork
abstainers and the free range eaters and the organic dieters and the
sodium restricted and the fat restricted and the alcohol intolerant and
the upside down eating while spinning in circlers, that menu development
is a talent/art/skill that is not inherent in cooking and all cooks.

We once talked about being able to envision a dish just from reading
the recipe and not needing to test it repeatedly . . . menu creation
seems to similarly elusive.  While we all can tack dishes together and
call them a feast, there is, in my estimation only, an additional skill
to develop in creating a diverse and accommodating menu without the
needs for lots of special modifications for one of the two dozen special
diet groups out there.  A sufficiently diverse and balanced menu can
have huge benefits:  the special needs people can usually find
satisfaction in the original menu, and you create lots of goodwill
amongst guests and staff by their feeling like you thought especially of
them.

It takes a good serving of courage and honesty to assess one's own real
skill level adequately in anything, let alone what we find most proud in
with ourselves.  I suspect that the skill can be developed with
practice, feedback and a good teacher.  While this may not be an
absolute necessity skill, I contend that it is one that is a huge asset
to those who have it.

I recognized the need when I made the personal decision not to use
artificial sweeteners or starch products that were not reasonably
available at the time of the recipe's writing (no Splenda or Soy Flour)
when I am cooking for SCA events.  That's the whole joy for me . . .
finding ways to challenge myself to do it THEIR way and not my own,
while traveling the minefield of satisfying my guests.  So, I just
cannot use lard in every dish I cook :o(

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco