Masa Harina ??Re: [Sca-cooks] Cookies are arriving!!

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Dec 4 12:02:26 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I bet, that's very funny :-)
>
> >2 1/4 c Masa Harina
>
> Wazdat?

It's a very finely ground corn flour, usually used to make tortillas in
Mexican cooking. It's much finer tha the corn meal most folks are familiar
with, but it doesn't cause celiacs the distress that wheat and oar flours
can cause. I wouldn't use it for yeast baking, but it works just fine for
cookies and the like. It also works fairly well as a thickener for soups,
stews, and gravies.

 When I first came up with the recipe, it was the result of a conversation
I'd had, which included a friend being celiac, and my love of chocolate chip
cookies, so, since I had the materials, I went ahead and tried it, figuring
at worst I'd be out a couple dollars' worth of ingredients.

The dough is very dense, so it takes some doing to mix it, and the cookies
wind up rather dense too, but I have come to love the flavor blend of the
corn, chocolate, and hot peppers. But, knowing some folks wouldn't be able
to, or want to, handle the hot peppers, I made two seperate batches.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,