[Sca-cooks] Comments please?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 4 20:43:41 PST 2002

Andrea asked:
> I came upon this statement when I was studying a use of phyllo  for a
> catering job (Elizabethan/Christmas) I  will be doing soon. I am trying to
> properly document the use of phyllo. Please, comments please? Andrea
>
> "The Greek seamen and merchants traveling east to Mesopotamia soon discovered
> the delights of Baklava. It mesmerized their taste buds. They brought the
> recipe to Athens. The Greeks' major contribution to the development of this
> pastry is the creation of a dough technique that made it possible to roll it
> as thin as a leaf, compared to the rough, bread-like texture of the Assyrian
> dough. In fact, the name "Phyllo" was coined by Greeks, which means "leaf" in
> the Greek language. In a relatively short time, in every kitchen of wealthy
> households in the region, trays of baklava were being baked for all kinds of
> special occasions from the 3rd Century B.C. onwards."
It would be interesting if this could be documented, but this doesn't

seem to be supported by the evidence that has come out in our previous
discussions of phyllo or baklava.
You might look at this file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:

baklava-msg       (36K)  7/16/02    Period baklava-like layered pastries.

In addition, I have some more messages which haven't been added to this
file yet. Let me know and I will email them to you or get the file
updated.
Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com