[Sca-cooks] 2002 Cook's Symposium

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 5 05:57:13 PST 2002

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I read it in the latest issue of _Serve It Forth_.  It sounds as if the
> author was pretty unsuccessful in her attempts to "reconstruct the
> desired cuisine from sources other than cookbooks," to quote the review

<Major snip>

Well, that's pretty much what I had heard, but I had wanted to see for
myself, so a List Member has given me an opportunity. Unfortunately, I won't
have time to read it until I finish proofing Paul's new book, and I thought
that would be my next project.

I suppose her heart was in the right place, but it makes it very frustrating
for those of us who are seriously trying to understand "the way THEY did
it." It's even more confusing, and difficult, when you run into resources
like the Oxford book, which range from very, very good, to totally
off-the-wall, and then try to sort out the wheat from the chaff.. Certainly
an exercise in critical thinking ;-), but sometimes it's easier to throw out
the baby with the bathwater, the bath tub, and the baby clothes, and just go
back to the original sources.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,