[Sca-cooks] 2002 Cook's Symposium

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Dec 5 07:38:07 PST 2002

It's like that with a lot of things...at least, I've also found it to be
true in the other areas I know a little about (costuming and period
needlework).  It just about makes flames shoot from my nostrils to see
multiple museums (that really, really oughta know better!) refer to a
certain dress in a Bronzino painting as Eleanor of Toledo's burial gown,
which still actually exists, and _isn't_ the same as the gown in the
painting, or to read my lovely copy of the MoL book on Textiles and
Clothing, and wince at the bit where they turn a Hereolfsnes (sp?) tunic
(for a man, no less) into a fitted gown for a woman.  *sigh*
I guess that's just what makes scholarship and research and reenactment
so fascinating and simultaneously so frustrating.....
--Maire, stopping before she climbs up on the soap box....